Outside the Gate
(This was updated at 4:15 p.m. Oct. 13)
I’m Hisano Yamazaki with what’s happening outside the gate.
Have you seen geisha yet? Two maiko, or apprentice “geiko” (geisha), from Kyoto show off a dance performance at Kyotokan in Tokyo, Oct.12 through 14. Geiko in Kyoto is known as geisha in the Kanto region. Bring your camera and take a picture with maiko. No charge for this 15-minute show. Check out the performance schedule at www.kyotokan.jp.
Going on Now!
Until Oct. 17: Dip Ramen Noodles or Tsukemen Fair “Dai Tsukemen Haku” @ JR Hamamatsu-cho Station area, Tokyo
Until Oct. 15: “Experience Manga Through Science” Exhibition—Timeless Dream Heroes—at National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation, Tokyo www.miraikan.jst.go.jp/en/spevent/kagaku-manga-ten
Until Dec. 9: “Tutankhanmun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs” at Ueno Royal Museum, Tokyo
Oct. 5-14: Odaiba October Fest at Symbol Promenade Park, Tokyo
urai warriors or kabuki players.
Oct. 9-14: Traditional Japanese tea ceremony demonstration and furoshiki demonstration at Kyotokan, Tokyo.
Oct. 11-14: The 52nd Model/RC Car Show “All Japan Pramodel Hobby Show” at Makuhari Messe.
Oct. 12-14: Maiko, or apprentice geiko (geisha,) dance performance at Kyotokan, Tokyo. Region.
Oct. 13-14: Nodate Outdoor Tea Ceremony in English at Hama Rikyu Garden, Tokyo.
Oct. 20-21: Yokohama International Fest at Zono Hana Park, Yokohama .
Oct. 20-21: Tokyo Vegefood Festa 2012 at Yoyogi Park, Tokyo tokyo-vegefest.com/english.html
Oct. 21: Kiba no Kakunori: Lumbermen’s Acrobatic Stunts on Square Log Rolling on Water at Kiba Park, Tokyo.
Oct. 21: Yokosuka Mikoshi Parade at Yokosuka Chuo Dori Ave ~ Yokosuka Naval Base.
Oct. 20-28: Tokyo International Film Festival 2012.tiff-jp.net/en
Oct. 28: Kawasaki Halloween Parade at Kawasaki City, Kanagawa
Nov. 14-15 (tickets on sale now)
Cinema Meets Symphony “The Best 10” at Bunkamura Orchard Hall, Tokyo,
• Disney on Classic ~ a Magical Night 2012
• Bunkyo Civic Hall, Tokyo, Sep 28 (Premier Concert)
• Atsugi Bunka Kaikan, Atsugi City, Kanagawa, Sept. 29
• Olympus Hall Hachioji, Hachioji City, Tokyo, Sept. 30
• Tokyo International Forum, Nov 9-11 & Dec. 15-16
• Kanagawa Kenmin Hall, Yokohama City, Nov. 22
• Suntory Hall, Tokyo, Dec 6 (Special Concert)
• Yokohama Minato Mirai Hall, Dec 7 (Special Concert)
• Tokyo International Forum, Dec 15-16 (Final Concert)
• RAIN – A Tribute to The Beatles at Tokyu Theater Orb, Tokyo, Nov. 23-28
• “Sangen Crosses the Seas ~ from Asian Continent to Japan ”: Awareness of the 3-Stringed Instrument Its Evolution and Diverse Sounds at Tokyo Metropolitan Theater, Oct. 11 (English translations available during the show) www.dento-wa.jp/en/schedule/schedule02.html
•Tributing to Michael Jackson “THRILLER LIVE” at Roppongi Blue Theater, Sept. 29-Dec. 9
(Events are subject to change. Please contact your base tour office for more information.)
Hear Hisano Yamazaki on Eagle 810 or check her out on the Eagle810 Facebook page.