It's time to pay Japan road taxes, so know what to do!


It's time to pay Japan road taxes, so know what to do!

by: Tetsuo Nakahara | .
Stripes Japan | .
published: March 26, 2015

It’s time to pay your annual road taxes, which are mandated by Japanese law and based on vehicle engine size.

All Status of Forces Agreement personnel are required to pay their road taxes in order to receive their 2014 base vehicle decals. Luckily, most of you can pay them at U.S. military installations across Japan, where Japanese tax officials will be setting up collection stations to process payments.

Payments must be made by May 31 (by April 30 at NAF Atsugi, by June 30 at Misawa), either on base or at the local Japanese tax office. Remember that payments must be made in yen. If you own more than one vehicle, all of them must be registered at the same time. Vehicles without new decals will not be allowed to be driven on or after June 1. (July 1 at Misawa)

The road tax for a regular 4-wheel vehicle, which is called ‘Automobile Tax’ in Japan, is levied by the metropolitan or prefectural government to those who own vehicles within the prefecture as of April 1. As for the tax for a mini-car and motorcycle, which is called ‘Light Motor Vehicle Tax’, the city or ward government collects them. Both of the road taxes were originally established for vehicle owners to bear a proportionate share of the cost in maintaining roads. So, regardless of nationality, it is mandatory for virtually anyone who owns a vehicle in Japan to pay the road tax.

Since some collection sites have no exchange counter, be sure to prepare Japanese yen cash before you pay your tax on base.

Anyone can pay road taxes for deployed or absent vehicle owners, but a power of attorney may be required to obtain a base decal for anyone other than a spouse. Those unable to make the scheduled base collections times have until May 31 (June 30 at Misawa) to pay the road tax off base at their local Japanese tax office, post office or select convenience stores, according to base officials.

Camp Zama
April 14-17, staggered based on last name, from 9 to11 a.m. and 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. at the Zama Community Club. April 14, drivers with last names starting with A-E; April 15, F-K; April 16, L-R; April 17, S-Z and motorcycle and mini-car taxes. For more information call DSN 263-4337.

Yokota Air Base
For regular 4-wheel vehicle: April 21-24. For mini-car and motorcycle: April 21-22. At the Yujo Community Center (Bldg 327) from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. For more information call DSN 225-8932.

Naval Air Facility Atsugi
April 23, 24, 27 and 28 at Convention Center on the first floor from 9 to 11 a.m. and 12:30 to 3 p.m. Motorcycle and mini-car road taxes will be collected Thursday, April 23, from 9 to 11 a.m. and 12:30 to 3 p.m. For more information call DSN 264-3805.

Yokosuka Naval Base
April 20, 21 and 22, from 9 to 12 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. at Fleet Theater (Regular 4wheel vehicle only. Mini-car and motorcycle taxes must be paid at Yokosuka City Hall for April 1 – May 31).  For more information call DSN 243-5011.

Misawa Air Base
For all vehicle: April 20 – 24, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Mokuteki Community Center Ballroom (Bldg. 626). For more information call DSN 226-3995

Sasebo Naval Base
For all vehicle: April 14 and 15, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. /1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. at Showboat Theater. April 16, 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. /1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. at Hario Chapel.  For more information, visit CFAS Security VRO’s Facebook site or call DSN 252-2378

Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni
For all vehicle: April 15-17, 9 to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 to 3 p.m. in Talbots Dining Room adjacent to the Officers Club (Bldg. 600).  For more information, call PMO Pass and Registration DSN 253-3161.

Tags: News
Related Content: No related content is available